Saturday, July 10, 2010

about internet marketing






It was actually the most normal-appearing job posting, a real-estate website that wanted college-age kids to do some marketing on the cheap. There was no overt evidence that the job listing had been placed by Putin. I hadn’t searched for “internships with hot Russian spies in the Manhattan area.” The only thing slightly sketchy about the job was its location, in the Financial District. But just because someone is based in a neighborhood of criminals shouldn’t make them guilty by association. So I emailed my résumé to Anna Chapman and asked for an interview.


• Reihan Salam: My Russian Spy Ring Dream Team

• Julia Ioffe: Russia Is Laughing at Us
The building we met in was residential, and after a little mix-up over the interview location (she had only given me the floor number), we finally sat down in a quiet corner of the lounge area and began the interview. And this is where I have to admit something a little embarrassing: Nothing very interesting happened. Despite Miss Chapman’s Slavic good looks, she seemed just as awkward and self-conscious as any other 20-something. There was nothing out of the ordinary. She didn’t ask me for the maximum effective range of a 25 millimeter Bushmaster Cannon. She didn’t ask me if I felt comfortable working in a non-legal, Russian-friendly environment. There were no bags of cash exchanged. She didn’t once use a radio transmitter, and I never asked her if she was a Bond girl. All in all, it was rather boring. She mostly talked about Pay Per Click software and online advertising, and then told me that she would get back to me in a few weeks. Before she did, I was hired somewhere else.


• Philip Shenon: The Spy Ring’s Ripple Effects But I did invite her to chat with me on Google Talk. I think I probably could have been hired by Miss Chapman had I waited, and so I felt like maintaining a contact—not in a foreign agent kind of way—with the company, just in case. We never really talked online, but she did send me a few incredibly boring PDFs about marketing strategies, which I barely even skimmed. And she remained my chat contact. Every day, I would see her gTalk tagline, usually something cheesy about inspiration or creativity, and her gTalk icon, as well. Now imagine my surprise when I walked past the newsstand the morning after 11 people were arraigned on charges of acting as unregistered foreign agents, and saw that same picture. I did a double take. I knew that face. That face had interviewed me only a few months ago!


I immediately called my wife, whose first response was, “You didn’t tell me that she was hot!” And too bad for Anna Chapman that she is, because now she gets to be the poster girl for this whole sordid story: invisible ink, money laundering, code names, fake passports, and being watched by the FBI for 10 years without even realizing it. So Anna might have failed miserably at being a spy, but she achieved the much less elusive goal of American celebrity. She even got a snarky front-page headline in the New York Post. And now I have a connection to it all, too. Thank you, Craigslist!


Scott Beauchamp is a writer living in New York. He spent 25 months in Iraq as an infantryman and has written for Deadspin, Attackerman, The New Republic, and One Year in Texas.


Get a head start with the Morning Scoop email. It’s your Cheat Sheet with must reads from across the Web. Get it.


For inquiries, please contact The Daily Beast at editorial@thedailybeast.com.















We may not have written the book on online community management, but we wrote a report on it! And as we noted in that report, The ReadWriteWeb Guide to Online Community Management, "the job is part customer service, part marketing, part public relations, and part Web savvy."


We are looking for someone who is an active user of social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Digg and StumbleUpon to name just some of the ones important to our site). We're also looking for someone with experience managing online communities, strong writing skills and an analytical mind set. This may suit someone with an online marketing or PR background. But we're open-minded about that, as we're mostly interested in your current use of social media.


This job is a great opportunity to work at the cutting edge of social media. So if you'd like to be a part of one of the leading technology blogs on the Internet, email richard AT readwriteweb.com with the words "Community Manager" in your subject line. If you know someone who may be a good fit for this position, please send them our way.










mike fuljenz mike fuljenz mike fuljenz internet marketing course

My article about internet word of mouth in MarketingRSLT by Klaas Weima



















No comments:

Post a Comment