Friday, July 16, 2010

personal finance programs



Job opportunities?  What job opportunities.  You have one of the highest, if not the highest, unemployment rates in America. 



Look, it doesn't matter how beautiful a place might be, politics and culture can ruin it.



I've lived in Fresno and Monterey California.  Fresno isn't much, but Monterey was nice.  I've traveled and visited just about every place between San Diego to Oreville and I've panned for gold along the 49er highway.  I've visited every major park.  I've hiked it, I've camped it, sailed it, and I've swimmed it. 



California is truely a beautiful place, but it's politics and culture remind me of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  The silly, job-killing, anti-business, social experiementation sort of cr*p that goes on there borders on the inane--or more accurately the insane.



California is perhaps the most intolerant state I've lived in--and I attended the University of Alabama when Governor Wallace stood in the door--but I had no problems with black students living in my dorm (I'm not from Alabama).  As far as I was concerned, they were just students trying to make a better life for themselves like me.



On the other hand, Conservatives in California are considered lower than pond scum.  See if students will allow a conservative to speak at Berkely or other liberal bastions without protests and interruptions--fat chance.  Despite professing a love of freedom of speech and diversity, most Californians find conservative speech and philosophy repugnant.  They do not want to hear an opposing argument.



For those of you who are not familiar with how intolerant Californian are please visit www.zombietime.com.  I can confirm that the lunatics on display pictured in those protests are in fact typical of liberal protesters. 



Did I mention that the politics there are about as corrupt as it gets?  I'll concede that Boston (lived there) is worse as a city and Illinois is worse as a state, but California is in the bottom 2.5 percent.



Can you name me another state that is 16 billion dollars in debt and wants to spend tax dollars on electronic license plates to advertise while your car is stopped at a red light.  Simultaneously, California is begging the federal government (i.e., everyone else in America) to bail them out?  Never mind that I may not agree with the product or the political position being advertised on the license plate, it will be making the state money.  These people are freaking nuts.



There is something in the water in California that somehow turns an otherwise wonderful place into a toxic political landfill.



Lest you think I've lived a protected life, I've lived in 13 states. I've visited all of the states.  I've lived in Canada.  I've lived in El Salvador (2 years) at the height of the civil war there.  I've lived in Vietnam for a year as a Marine platoon commander.  I've lived in Okinawa and mainland Japan.  And I've traveled extensively around the world in both the military and for business and pleasure.



While California is at the top of my list of beautiful places, it's at the bottom of my list for places to live.  There is more to quality of life than landscape.  Actually, I would prefer to go back to El Salvador than live in California.



When I returned from Vietnam in 1969, I landed in San Francisco on my way to my new assignment.  In those days, we were required to wear our uniforms.  All I wanted to do was to have a drink at the Top of the Mark where my parents once enjoyed a special occasion and my first decent dinner in over a year.  The reception I received from those ever so tolerant San Franciscans was in the form of a constant stream of expletives and intimidation.  My first night back in the US, I got into two fights in which I got my ass kicked being out numbered both times.  I never did get the drink or the dinner.



Right, welcome back for serving your country in a war that the politicians started.  Not much has changed.  They still loath the military while enjoying the freedoms the military guarantees them.



I do not support giving a single tax dollar to California to bail them out of the mess they made for themselves.  You screwed California up--you fix it yourself.



And to answer the rest of your question, while the culture, art, topography, climate, and sports may not be to your liking, I think Alaska and Hawaii (I've lived in both states) beats California hands down.  Alaska is breathtakingly beautiful if unforgiving.  Hawaii has better weather, beaches, sailing, swiming, topography, sports, and despite the fact that Hawaii is a left leaning state, the people are friendlier as well.  Actually, Florida is much better place to live too (born there).



Finally, I survived a major earthquake in El Salvador in October 1986.  It was a horrific event that I will never forget.  Thousands died.  My wife and I were lucky.  Even if California were perfect in every other respect, I would not live in an earthquake zone.  Unless you've survied a major earthquake, you don't know what it's like.



I'm now retired in Florida and enjoying my glass of wine each afternoon watching the sun set in the now oil clogged Gulf of Mexico.  It's still better than California. 



mike fuljenz mike fuljenz mike fuljenz mike fuljenz mike fuljenz mike fuljenz

Exclusive: A 2nd Christmas Attack, In NYC? « Liveshots

Law enforcement officials who spoke with Fox News could not say what came of the report. Even though one FBI official acknowledged he couldn't "rule out" that a test run and attack in New York City were ultimately attempted, ...

Google <b>News</b> Blog: Google <b>News</b> changes reflect your feedback

Some of you told us that you really liked it, especially how the "News for you" section lets you see a stream of articles tailored to the interests you specify. The positive usage data we saw during our months-long tests of the redesign ...

Lost Remote | MedCity <b>News</b> growing fast, ready to expand

MedCity News Service and MedCity News Custom give the company a diversified revenue source, in addition to the high CPM advertising the dot-com site has been able to generate. Chris Seper co-founded the site with Mary Vanac. ...



MABUHAY ALLIANCE HOST THE 6TH ANNUAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE by mabuhayalliance







MABUHAY ALLIANCE HOST THE 6TH ANNUAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE by mabuhayalliance






























No comments:

Post a Comment